Hello from Ron Springsteen of Sheridan, Michigan. You can contact me here. I have had a long-standing interest in national, local, and family history. I hope to share my exploration of the people, places, and events that have brought us to this day and that serve as a foundation for the future.
For those of us who are fortunate, our families are our home in this life. We live as individuals, yet our family context shapes us in both blessings and trials. My wife Dee grew up in the Chicago area where her ancestors settled as immigrants from Bohemia and Belgium in the late 1800s. I was born and raised around Sheridan, Michigan, where we live today. Dee and I lived part of our life in Minnesota and North Carolina where we raised our son and daughter.
My ancestors came to Michigan primarily from Ohio and New York, with some lines passing through what is now Ontario. Known colonial lines were in New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. My most recent European ancestors came from Germany and England in the 1800s.
I’ve been interested in history and genealogy since the 1960s, but didn’t find time for more than occasional research until recent years. Over time I have gathered quite a bit of material related to our ancestors. I am trying to organize and share that information for the benefit of our extended family.
My research is focused not on names and dates of direct ancestors but on the lives of their extended families and the communities in which they lived. I’m not looking for heroes. I’m looking for people quite like us dealing with life as best they could.
I took the plunge into DNA testing after reading Michael D. Lacopo’s blog, Hoosier Daddy?. I’ve learned that traditional and DNA-based research work hand-in-hand to reveal living relatives and point to our common ancestors. I have included links for genetic genealogy on my Research links page.
Dee’s Ancestral Surnames
Dlouhy, Hrobar, Karel, Macak, Macek, Meert/Maart, Ratbar, Srsen, Straka, Van Zandt, Vychsil
Dee’s Ancestral Locations
- Belgium: Brussels
- Bohemia, Austrian Empire (Czech Republic)
- Illinois: Cook County, DuPage County
Ron’s Ancestral Surnames
Admiston, Ames, Brown, Case, Chamberlain, Bowers, Clifton, Crippin, Curtain, Dailey, David, Davis, De Groot, Dennis, Depew, Fillmore, Fisher, Fuller, Green, Harger, Howe, Johnson, Johnston, Keck, Kidder, Kuntzman, Kurtz, Lewis, Little, Martin, Palmer, Powell, Robinett, Rowe, Rowley, Schermerhoorn, Seger, Smith, Springsteen, Taylor, Yaner
Ron’s Ancestral Locations
- Connecticut: Hartford County
- England: Lincoln, Sussex
- Germany: Hessen, Württemberg
- Indiana: DeKalb County, Steuben County
- Massachusetts: Middlesex County
- Michigan: Clare County, Clinton County, Eaton County, Genesee County, Gratiot County, Hillsdale County, Ingham County, Lapeer County, Lenawee County, Livingston County, Mecosta County, Monroe County, Montcalm County, Oakland County, Wayne County
- New Hampshire: Cheshire County
- New York: Albany County, Cattaraugus County, Erie County, Fulton County, Genesee County, Herkimer County, Kings County, Livingston County, Monroe County, Wyoming County
- Ohio: Clark County, Fulton County, Medina County, Richland County, Williams County
- Ontario: Niagara Region, Oxford County
- Vermont: Rutland County